We had the opportunity to stay at Macas Glamping for two nights and the truth is that it was an unforgettable experience. This boutique hotel is located just 15 minutes from Macas, Morona Santiago in the Amazon rainforest region of Ecuador. It is not located in the heart of the jungle but the environment that surrounds the hacienda it really feels like you are. I must say I was pleasantly surprised!
Read more: The best things to do in Puyo
The hotel has 3 very distinct and unique rooms. Each room comes incredibly well equipped with a private bath, Jacuzzi, and of course your own relaxation area. Without a doubt, Macas Glamping is the perfect balance between nature and comfort.
How to get to Macas Glamping?
Guayaquil: From Guayaquil it is a seven hour drive to Macas Glamping via Guamote-Cebadas-Macas / E46 and E47.
Cuenca: From Cuenca it is a four and a half hour drive along the Via Cuenca – Macas.
Quito: From Quito it is a 6 hour drive via C. Teniente Hugo Ortíz and Carr. Panamericana/Troncal de la Sierra/E35 until you reach Macas Glamping.
Baños: From Baños it is a 3 hour drive to Macas Glamping. Take the via C. Teniente Hugo Ortíz and E30.
Depending on where you are in Ecuador, it can take between 3 to 7 hours to drive to Macas Glamping from the closest major cities. The truth is that the roads in the East are a bit neglected but it is worth making the trip and sleeping in one of the most magical places that Ecuador has to offer. I enjoyed my experience at this wonderful hotel so much that I vow to come back and experience again with Steven.
You have to be very careful on the road to turn where your GPS indicates, as there are no signs pointing you to Macas Glamping. Once you arrive at the hotel, you can park your car near the lobby and check in.
Glamping near the lake in Ecuador
Each of the glamping spots is totally surrounded by nature and near a small lagoon, which you have access to and you can enjoy on a canoe or inflatable boats. If you have a drone to fly, this is the perfect spot to fly a drone in Ecuador as you have an incredible panoramic view of the mountains and the jungle.
The hotel also has a restaurant with delicious fresh food. The cost of lunch and dinner is $15 per plate. This price includes a starter, the main course and a drink (juice). The atmosphere is super nice. You can also pre-order different experiences to make your stay even more special.
All reservations include a continental breakfast, air conditioning, bathrobe, hot water, toiletries, WiFi, access to the lagoon with boat, life jackets, flashlights, umbrellas, and a mini bluetooth speaker.
The first thing that will catch your attention is the abundance of nature that surrounds the place. Each of the rooms has its own personality and all are relatively new construction. The décor in each of the rooms have been meticulously chosen to match the overall décor of the room’s theme to perfection.
- La Pirámide Sangay: In my opinion it is the most romantic room of all, since it has a queen bed inside a glass pyramid. The pyramid is located within a fenced in space where you can enjoy a private jacuzzi, swing, space for bonfires and a private bathroom next to the room.
- El Domo: The coolest thing about the Dome is that it has the best view of the lagoon. This room can accommodate up to two adults and two children. It has a queen bed with a view through the transparent dome and a comfortable sofa bed. The Dome also includes a Jacuzzi and has a private bathroom inside the room. It is a solid and strong room, and is completely waterproof. The room on perched on a high wooden platform. Inside, there is everything you need for a comfortable stay; a bed with beautiful, clean, warm white sheets, two nightstands, a chair, and several electrical outlets.
- La Barca: This is the room I stayed in and fell in love with it. The room has three circular windows that allow you to enjoy natural light that illuminates the room during the day. La Barca has a Queen bed built out of fine wood, with a glass roof over the entire bed area allowing you to enjoy spectacular sunrises and starry nights. If you are traveling with children do not worry that this room has a very comfortable sofa bed. What I loved the most was the floor-level Jacuzzi that fits 4 inside the room.
Adventure tours near Macas Glamping:
- Tour to the Tayos cave: Walk inside the caves and observe the majestic geological formations, a waterfall, and the birds of the caves called tayos.
- Amazon Jungle tour: Enjoy an Amazon Jungle Tour and learn from the Shuar community. Walk through the forest to the cabins on the banks of the Yuquipa river, take a canoe ride, learn about the medicinal plants and archeology of the area.
- Sangay National Park Tour: Visit the Sangay Volcano and visit one of the most beautiful national parks in Ecuador. The tour includes transportation to refuge 1, interaction with the indigenous Shuar and San Luis community, a stop at the Sardinas river stream lagoon, a walk through the primary forest observing endemic species of the area, lunch at the typical cabins and a visit to the waterfall.
Sunday 5th of September 2021
We are thinking about being a part of the Glamping experience in the near future. We have lived in Cuenca for the last 8 years and want to experience more of Ecuador - but perhaps in a different way. Please put us on your mailing list, so we will be up to date on everything.