Guayacanes Blossom 2022: TBA
For more information about the blossom dates please check it here!
Colimes is a small town located 90km, or an hour and a half drive north of Guayaquil, Ecuador. Once a year the Guayacanes blossom, creating a beautiful sea of yellow flowers. The blossom takes place between the months of December and January, depending on the rainfall and lasts for only one week. In this guide you will find everything you need to know to visit the flowering of the Guayacanes in Colimes.
In Colimes, the farm Las Habras hosts one of the most spectacular natural shows in the country for the blossom of the Guayacanes. This location is just now working its way to fame in Ecuador. Previously people had to travel seven hours the southern province of Loja to observed this blossoming.
Las Habras is located just 4 km from the cantonal head of Colimes on the road to Olmedo. The hacienda is undoubtedly one of the best places in Ecuador to see the Flowering of the Guayacanes.
Las Habras has a 2km walking path through the natural Gauyacanes forest, which takes around one hour to complete. The path can be a bit muddy with recent rainfall, so bring a sturdy pair of walking shoes. The best time to visit is in the middle of the week long blossom, when the whole landscape is covered in yellow.
Although the farm has 125 hectares, only 16 of them are enabled for the visitors’ journey. In this area the tourist can enjoy the flora and fauna of the tropical dry forest, including of course the yellow flowers of this ancient tree.
Important Information to plan your visit to Hacienda Las Habras in 2022:
The following information was obtained from the official Facebook of the farm:
- Flowering will occur once it rains enough for the trees to bloom. The exact date is not yet announced.
- Once it rains, there is a period of between three and four days until the flowers that paint the landscape yellow appear for approximately five or six days.
- This year they do not have the direct entry bridge, because in the month of April, the structure fell and so far there is no replacement.
- Those who travel in their own vehicle from Guayaquil and neighboring cities must take an alternate route from before the Santa Lucía canton that will take them to Colimes. This road is second order and it will take you 30 minutes until arrival.
- For those who do not have their own vehicle, we suggest taking tours from different tourist agencies that already promote the tour. We also propose our own tours from Guayaquil.
What to do in Colimes during the Flowering of the Guayacanes?
Las Habras has so much more to offer than just its Guayacanes blossoms. The tour begins with a traditional local dance show and an interesting interpretation center, with history of the region. You can also enjoy lunch there, with local dishes and fresh fruit juices available for purchase.
You can also rent horses if you do not feel like walking the path. If you are looking for more recreational activities, the farm also allows biking and camping. They offer cabins you can rent as well and enjoy some nature while visiting Guayaquil.
It is a perfect destination to enjoy with your family, friends or even some alone time in nature. Make sure to charge your camera and get ready for some beautiful flower blossom shots!
The entry fee is $3 USD for adults and $1.50 for children and includes a tour guide.
What activities can be done at Hacienda Las Habras in Colimes?
At Hacienda Las Habras you can go horseback riding, bike tours, visit the typical house that contains objects from the Montubian culture, you can taste the gastronomy of the area and try its typical dishes such as cassava and green dry muchines. duck and chicken.
What should you bring to Colimes?
The Guayacanes are located in the heart of a tropical dry forest, so it is advisable to wear light clothing, sports shoes, hats, sunscreen, and a poncho in case it rains.
Don’t forget to pack your camera and tripod.
Given the pandemic at this time, it is mandatory to wear a mask and maintain distance as indicated by biosecurity protocols.
How to get to Colimes from Guayaquil?
- Bus: The only bus cooperative that is destined for the Colimes canton is Santa Rosa de Colimes. The transport goes through Nobol, Daule, Santa Lucia and Palestina. The trip lasts 2 hours from the Terrestrial Terminal.
How to get to Colimes from Quito?
- Bus: In the Quitumbe Terminal you have to take a bus that goes to the Quevedo canton and from there take another bus that goes to El Empalme or Balzar until you reach the detour to the Colimes canton. The estimated travel time is 6 hours.